After our Mandarin Night it turned out that many people are interested in topic about superstition, that’s why we decided to wrote about some of them which we discussed at the event~ Nowadays not so many people in China believe in it, mostly there are superstition`s people in Guangdong province, Taiwan and Hong Kong, Fujian Province. There are lots of superstitions in Chine which you can find in the Internet. Today we going to share with you some superstitions from one country which believes in them, and you cannot find all of these superstitions in the Internet, but be sure they are all true^^
If you are really interested in this topic share with us in the comment about superstitions from which country would you like to know more? Or share with us do you believe in superstitions, if yes which of them? It would be very exiting!
Many Russian people do actually believe in it, doesn’t matter old or young people, lots of them have something to believe in it. Let`s see what people believe in….
1. It is believed that on the right shoulder of the person is his guardian angel, on the right is the evil forces, so spit on your left shoulder to avoid the evil eyes. And faith in Christianity is believed that touching a tree is equivalent to touching Christ, he was nailed on a wooden cross. Therefore, our ancestors in order for to please Christ to give them protection from evil forces, they knock three times at wood. Now if you know that something good happened to you, then you talk to others about this thing, and you afraid that after you said it, your smooth things will destroy, then spit on your left shoulder, knock three times at the wood and you can avoid being jinxed. This is common superstitions not only in Russia, but in Europe as well.
2. "Do not eat in the corner of the table - otherwise you will not marry in the future" - this phrase people, especially the old people tell to unmarried girls. In Russia, often used square tables, and you can often hear such phrases. In the internet there is no explanation why the girl should not sit in the corner of the table, in general, it is written that the corner attracts evil forces. The reason of this superstition doesn’t really matter, people just believe in it.
3. It is believed that people should not pass things or greet someone through the threshold. The origin of superstition also came from ancient times, when a dead man's Ashes buried in the soil below the threshold of the home, so if you pass things through the threshold-you disturb the soul of the deceased. You also should not sit on the threshold-it is believed that this place is the border between the world of life and death.
The interesting fact about burying in ancient Russia. For their ancestors, even if a relative died, he was still the part of the family. They thought if people were buried like that, it would create the inextricable connection between generations. This ceremony also reflects respect to the deceased. The deceased relatives protected the house and the inhabitants` life, and no evil forces would damage their home.
4. In the evening, you cannot cut your nails and hair. They are the power of our vital life, and if we cut them at night, we lose our strength. In addition, in the evening also do not throw out the garbage, because in the evening next to a trashcan you can meet some evils, and at the night with throwing out the garbage, also taking money away from home. Another thing which you should not do in the evening is to count the money or lend it to someone, otherwise you can lose your money.
5. The last one is about long way. If the family member has just gone off to far place, you must not immediately tide up or clean the house. People believe that with washing the house, especially the floor you are also erase the way back home to this person, so this person will not able to come back home later. And you cut off all contact with this person. But as soon as he reaches the destination, you can safely clean up the house.
About the blogger:
Masha is a Chinese Government scholarship student at Fudan University. She started her way of learning Chinese language from 2015 year, since she had enrolled in Moscow City University as a bachelor student in Oriental studies. After two years she got a Chinese Government scholarship and went to Zhejiang University for one-year language course. During that year she successfully passed HSK 5 and has been accepted by Fudan University. Now she started new page in her life in Shanghai, but she did not drop out at Moscow City University. So now she is a bachelor student at two universities.